As its name suggests, harmonizing prescriptions treats syndromes in semi-interior and semi-exterior and syndromes of liver-spleen disharmony by harmonizing methods. As you can see, to a great extent it is mainly used for the treatment of Shao-yang disease.
So, what is the reason for harmonization in herbal remedies? According to general therapeutic principle, diaphoresis is the proper method to expel pathogenic cold hampering the exterior; purgation method is the suitable option when it comes to get rid of interior pathogenic factors; but when pathogenic factors are stuck in between, both mentioned methods can do nothing about it. So in the case of pathogenic factors in Shao-yao channel, harmonization or reconciliation is the only way that can choose from.
Reconciling formulas are the concrete presence of harmonization method. And the combination of herbs is characterized as mix of cold and hot nature herbs and fusion of purgation and tonifying. By doing so, it can settle dispute between the exterior and interior, reconcile Zang-Fu viscera, and balance yin and yang.
Reconciling formulas can be subdivided into 3 groups – harmonize Shao Yang-stage disorders, regulate and harmonize the liver and spleen, and harmonize the stomach and intestines. And here is the typical alphabetic formula list for your reference.
- Ban Xia Xie Xin Tang (Pinellia Decoction to Drain the Epigastrium)
- Chai Hu Da Yuan Yin (Bupleurum Decoction to Reach the Membrane Source)
- Chai Hu Gui Zhi Gan Jiang Tang (Bupleurum, Cinnamon Twig, and Ginger Decoction)
- Chai Hu Gui Zhi Tang (Bupleurum and Cinnamon Twig Decoction)
- Chai Hu Jia Mang Xiao Tang (Bupleurum Decoction plus Mirabilite)
- Chai Hu Qing Zao Tang (Bupleurum Decoction to Clear Dryness)
- Chai Hu Shu Gan San (Bupleurum Powder to Spread the Liver)
- Chai Hu Si Wu Tang (Bupleurum and Four Substance Decoction)
- Chai Hu Zhi Jie Tang (Bupleurum, Bitter Orange, and Platycodon Decoction)
- Chai Ping Tang (Bupleurum and Calm the Stomach Decoction)
- Da Chai Hu Tang (Major Bupleurum Decoction)
- Da Yuan Yin (Reach the Membrane Source Decoction)
- Dan Huang Si Ni San (Moutan and Phellodendron Powder for Frigid Extemities)
- Hao Qin Qing Dan Tang (Artemisia Annua and Scutellaria Decoction to Clear)
- Hei Xiao Yao San (Black Rambling Powder)
- Hou Po Qi Wu Tang (Seven-Substance Decoction with Magnolia Bark)
- Huang Lian Tang (Coptis Decoction)
- Jia Wei Xiao Yao Wan (free and easy wanderer plus, relaxx plus extract)
- Jie Nue Qi Bao Yin (Seven Treasures Decoction to Check Malarial Conditions)
- Qing Pi Tang (Clear the Spleen Decoction)
- Qing Yi Tang (Clear the Pancreas Decoction)
- Sheng Jiang Xie Xin Tang (Fresh Ginger Decoction to Drain the Epigastrium)
- Shu Gan Li Pi Tang (Spread the Liver and Regulate the Spleen Decoction)
- Si Ni San (Frigid Extremities Power)
- Tong Qi San (Unblock the Qi Powder)
- Tong Xie Yao Fang (Important Formula for Painful Diarrhea)
- Xiao Chai Hu Tang (Minor Bupleurum Decoction)
- Xiao Yao San, Xiao Yao Wan (Free and Easy Wanderer, Rambling powder)
- Yi Gan San (Restrain the Liver Powder)